Karen has spent her career helping leaders and teams perform more effectively. As an internal staff consultant at the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries, she supported the executive leadership team, managers, and front-line supervisors through the design and implementation of an organization-wide system to manage performance and enhance accountability. Karen trained leaders at the US Department of Labor to deepen their emotional intelligence, clarify their leadership vision, and build successful teams. As a leadership and team coach, she provides developmental coaching to clients who want to increase collaboration, improve communication, and work together more effectively to produce the results that are important to them.
Karen always focuses on helping her clients create sustainable change in the skills and capacities that make for great leaders: genuinely connecting with others in a way that motivates and inspires; taking clear, decisive stands; building great teams; engaging effectively in conflict; leading constant change; creating a culture of accountability; and building resilience in themselves and others. She is committed to meeting clients where they are and uses a variety of tools and approaches that draw on her deep experience facilitating change and designing tools for adult learning.
Karen has coached leaders and teams in financial services; state and federal government; K-12 and higher education; technology and information services; retail; health care; and local and national nonprofits. Her clients have ranged from the executive level to front line supervisors. Karen particularly loves working with leadership teams, and uses a combination of training, facilitation, and coaching to help them generate results that matter.
Karen lives in the Washington, D.C. area with her husband and daughter. When she’s not working, she enjoys being outside in green and wild places, puttering in the garden, reading fiction, history, and politics, and being silly with her family.
- Almost 30 years of professional experience training, facilitating, consulting, and coaching
- Certified in numerous approaches to coaching and development
- 18 years running a successful coaching and consulting practice
Sample of previous clients:
- Board and Executive Leadership Team, health care
- Executive Leadership Team, state government
- Superintendent and CFO, K-12 education
- VP, global science and education organization
- VP Finance, technology company
- Managing Director, financial products and services
- AVP, retail
- Finance Director, technology company
Education and Certifications
- MA ABS, Leadership Institute of Seattle
- BA, Brown University
- Professional Coach Certification, International Coach Federation
- Certified Integral Coach, New Ventures West
- Certified Coach, Leadership Embodiment
- Certified Coach, Resilient Leadership
- Certified Team Coach, Corentus
- Leadership Versatility Index (LVI)
- Emotional & Social Competency Inventory (ESCI)
- EQ-in-Action Profile
- Leadership Circle Profile